Every now and then I come across someone who feels guilty for making money or for being successful. Being someone who is driven by the challenge of earning money, I find this concept baffling.
From what I can tell, there are a few things that drive this guilt. They are as follows:
- You believe there is a limited amount of money in the world and if you take, that means someone else is without.
- You believe you are not worthy of enjoying the blessings that come along with money and success.
- You feel that the product you are offering is not worthy of your customer’s attention.
My response to the above is the following:
- There is not a limited amount of money in the world. In fact, it is quite the opposite and you earning money and becoming more successful only helps the economy you live in. A strong economy enables a strong community.
- You are worthy. Figure out a way to make peace with that.
- You are not giving your customers the respect of knowing what they like or need.
There is a dream that exists out there. One where you don’t have extravagant things but you have time: Time to surround yourself with your passions. Time to enjoy your blessings. Time to focus your energy on how you want to live.
There is a dream that exists out there. One where you can provide a single parent who has limited options with unlimited resources.
There is a dream out there. One where you quit your life in search of adventure. Where your biggest problem each day is whether you will climb a mountain or swim in the ocean.
There is a dream out there. One where you earn more than you need. One where you don’t have to worry about the gas prices climbing or how you are paying for groceries. Where you don’t have to hide from the credit card bills you cannot pay.
There is a dream out there. My dream. One where I am a top real estate investor in Saskatchewan. One where I have the opportunity to take the knowledge I accumulate while accomplishing that dream and use it to empower others.
There are a million dreams out there and they are all fabulous. But the common thread to achieve those dreams is money. Money eases stress, provides options and gives you the freedom to live generously. You cannot make the decision to live generously until you have the means to do so. So stop holding yourself back and find a way to earn what is needed to live your dream.